New Eclipse SQL Development Tool Released by Embarcadero » read source
Embarcadero, following on its recent series of announcements of key hires from the Eclipse community, is debuting today at EclipseCon 2008, PowerSQL, its new professional-grade SQL development tool. PowerSQL dramatically improves productivity for Eclipse application developers charged with SQL development.
Greg Keller, vice president of product management, Embarcadero Technologies said: "With the growing sophistication of J2EE, Ruby on Rails and other development frameworks increasingly dependent on databases, application developers require more depth in knowledge and tooling for the underlying DBMS technologies". "PowerSQL brings developers what they expect in an IDE with tremendous depth equaling hundreds of man-years worth of experience in database SQL parsing, connection, debugging and general optimization to produce high-performance SQL."
The company's fourth tool built on the Eclipse framework, Embarcadero PowerSQL, is a SQL IDE (Integrated Development Environment) that can be installed as a standalone application (Eclipse RCP) or as an Eclipse plug-in. It offers native support for Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase and DB2 for LUW, as well as JBDC support for other prominent DBMSs such as MySQL. PowerSQL runs on both Windows and Linux operating systems. Its flexibility and compatibility, in addition to a low price-point, make it a must-have tool for application developers who are increasingly working with databases.
John F. Andrews, president and CEO of Evans Data Corporation said: "We are seeing an upsurge in the number of traditional developers who are taking on more database work and using SQL on a somewhat regular basis". "In fact, according to research we conducted in September 2007, SQL is the second most popular language among Eclipse users, with 64 percent using it at least some of the time."
Features of the new Embarcadero PowerSQL tool include:
• SQL Code Assist ensures 100% object name accuracy, even when not connected to a database, plus real-time SQL syntax validation
• SQL Project Insight provides project-level SQL file cataloging and search features to help streamline project organization and maintenance
• Migration Wizard imports data sources from Eclipse DTP (Data Tools Project) or Quest TOAD
• Data Source Explorer enables users to easily navigate, search, extract DDL, execute commands, and even browse an outline view without opening the SQL file
• Formatting Profiles ensure consistent, quality code layout for easy review and extension. Profiles can be customized and shared.